Friday, June 27, 2008

Adebayor Staying at Arsenal


Emmanuel Adebayor has ended speculation about his immediate future by announcing he is staying at Arsenal.

The Togo striker, who scored 30 goals in 48 games last season, has been a target for both AC Milan and Barcelona.

But the 24-year-old said: "I have a good contract, we have a good team there and I'm playing for one of the biggest teams in the world.

"The most important thing for me is to keep on enjoying my football. I'm staying at Arsenal."

AC Milan have made it public knowledge that Adebayor is their main target this summer.

Should talks ever take place over a move, the former Monaco frontman insisted money would not be a factor.


Glad to see he's finally come out and killed this needless speculation off


"When I was young I had a dream to be a good footballer and play for a big team," said Adebayor, who was in Vienna with his sponsors.

"I was born in Togo so I never cared about playing for money, my happiness was to play to enjoy myself. That's what I've been doing until now.

"You can see people changing clubs because of money, because they want a change of atmosphere or to get their names in the big leagues. I just play football to enjoy myself. I play because I love it."

One Arsenal player who has already made the move to Milan is Mathieu Flamini.

The French midfielder joined the 2007 Champions League winners this summer after his contract with the Gunners came to an end.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who has also been in Austria for Euro 2008, had wanted to keep his countryman at the Emirates Stadium, but Flamini felt it was in his best interests to leave.

Adebayor thinks that Flamini, who impressed as a holding midfielder last season, will be missed.

"He was one of Arsenal's biggest players," Adebayor said. "He's a good man, a good character and a good footballer.

We play good football, now we look forward to winning trophies

Emmanuel Adebayor

"But he's made his decision and he's very happy to have signed for Milan. He has all the qualities to become a bigger player than he was at Arsenal."

Still, Adebayor believes Arsenal will thrive without Flamini and hails the team spirit in the camp.

"Everyone is between 21 and 26 years old, we are all the same generation," he said. "We all have the same ideas, we go out together after games to restaurants.

"We all have the same ideas and we all want to achieve something. We have a good boss which is Arsene Wenger. He tries to bring this atmosphere to the dressing room where we feel like brothers and like family.

"Those are the reasons that give us a chance to play the football we play. We play good football, now we look forward to winning trophies."

No comments: